Tiktok challenge puts teen in intensive care unit with severe burns – Daily News

PORTLAND, Oregon – A family in Portland believe it’s a video from the TikTok fire challenge that explains why their 13-year-old is now in the intensive care unit with severe burns to his neck and arm.

Kimberly Crane is Destini Crane’s mother and said her daughter was filming a TikTok video in their bathroom when her daughter caught fire.

“It was unreal, heartbreaking,” she says. “I don’t think anyone wants to see their daughter on fire. It was horrible.”

Destini’s sister Andrea said a friend was also there when this happened on May 14.

“Her friend was screaming, she was filming TikToks, she was filming TikToks,” Andrea said.

Kimberly Crane is Destini Crane’s mother and said her daughter was filming a TikTok video in their bathroom when her daughter caught fire. (KPTV)

The TikTok video they believe was trying to emulate shows a man spraying hairspray on the mirror and turning it on.

“There was a corked liquor bottle lying on the counter, and the whole side had split open, and there was a lighter, broken candle,” Andrea said. “So that’s just kind of the conclusion we’ve come to.”

Portland Fire and Rescue has answered the call and is investigating. Firefighter Rob Garrison said these challenges put everyone at risk.

“This is possibly one of the most dangerous things I have ever seen in my life,” he said.

Garrison said when your skin ignites. It burns in seconds.

“You could be standing next to a lake if you wanted to and start a fire on yourself, and by the time you hit the water you’re probably going to have burns on your body,” Garrison said.

Since Destini was first admitted to the ICU, she has had a tracheostomy and doctors are doing skin grafts on her neck and arm. The Crane’s said they want to warn other parents about the dangers these videos present and help prevent this from happening to someone else.

“Watch what children are watching because they can put themselves in dangerous situations without even realizing it,” Andrea said.

Garrison said parents need to have this discussion with their kids.

“You don’t just put yourself in danger; you put your whole family and whoever is in this building at risk, ”he said.

Click here for updates on this story

The-CNN-Wire ™ and © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.


Source link

About Quinton Walls

Check Also

Qld and NSW COVID exposure sites released after positive case confirmed – as happened

Health authorities recommend that pregnant women receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine Health experts now officially …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *